SMA serves as the public lands watchdog for the Telluride region and southwest Colorado. Our goal is to maintain strong working relationships with public land managers to both encourage conservation efforts of our sensitive lands and provide education for regional residents and visitors. We have worked to establish strong relationships with both USFS and BLM land managers, ensuring regular communication and coordinated public education efforts.
• following the BLM’s Uncompahgre Field Office Resource Management Plan
• monitoring the USFS Grand Mesa Uncompahgre Gunnison Office’s proposed “Spruce Beetle Epidemic and Aspen Decline Management Response”
• initiating more forest health education in the Telluride Region
• taking the San Juan Mountains Wilderness Bill to President Obama’s desk
• working with the Dolores River Coalition to ensure a lasting conservation plan for the Dolores River Corridor